Thursday, September 6, 2012

Why Bake?

4 year old Donovan cracks eggs into a separate bowl before we add them to the dough.
Cookies!

    Donovan is missing his sisters who are both away at college, Big Time!  So We had to bake some cookies for them to share with their friends.

I love baking with my kids.  But the first rule is "The cook doesn't lick his fingers!"


       As parents we want to do as much as we can for our kids in college.  Filling out forms, waking them up for class, and sending them a lot of money is a bad idea.  Instead, make them cookies and let them handle it.  They can do it. They can . I promise.  They may make mistakes; miss deadlines; and over sleep.  But it's really OK.  They will have less time to get in trouble if they are cleaning up their own messes and (figuratively) making their own beds.
     And they will love a package from home with a short note, small amount of cash and something to eat.  A plate of warm cookies on the table after a long day is nice too.   That's how we should be parenting our college age kids.  Because they're technically not kids anymore.  They're adults.  And fresh coffee or hot tea served with sugar cubes so they don't make a mess :0) is a good idea.
     This made Donovan very happy as well :)

Add caption
Cowboy Cookies
Adapted from a recipe I found in Bon Appetite too many years ago to find it again:

2 c. flour                             1 C. Shortening or butter (I use half butter,

2 c. Oats                                     half shortening)

1/2 tsp. baking powder         2 large eggs

1/2 tsp. salt                          3/4 c. sugar

1 tsp baking soda                    3/4 c dark brown or turbinado sugar
1 tsp vanilla                         1 c toasted chopped walnuts
1/2 c. chocolate chips         (1 c. dried cherries, cranberries or raisins)

Mix Flour, Oats, baking powder, salt and baking powder in a separate bowl and set aside.

Beat the sugars and shortening/ butter until fluffy.  If you use crisco add 2 tbls. water.  Add the eggs one at a time and beat well.  Then add vanilla.

When the sugars, shortening eggs and vanilla are well blended add the dry ingredients and mix slowly until the mixture is well blended.

Add nuts, Chocolate chips, and dried fruit (if desired) and mix well. Refridgerate dough for 1 hour.

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.

Scoop 1/4 cup dough and make into a ball.  Place on cookie sheet (I like to line cookie sheets with parchment)  and smash just a little to make a flat disc.  Leave space between the cookies on the cookie sheet.  They will be big!

Serve with milk and Enjoy!






1 comment:

  1. YUM! That looks fantastic. What a great lesson :) I moved away and didn't have family near when I went to college. It was a really good life lesson and I definitely don't think I would be where I am today had I not had that experience! I was the crazy kid trying to do it all on my own without my parents. I am thankful they weren't overbearing and let me figure it out on my own.

    ReplyDelete